I love working out, but I hate the standard post-gym meal of plain chicken and rice. This recipe has a lot more flavor, and is still full of protein, fiber, and healthy fat—plus it doubles as a beautiful dinner party entree! Enjoy this dish paired with a lightly sweet white such as Riesling, a sparkling such a dry Lambrusco, or a slightly chilled low-tannin red wine such as Oregon Pinot Noir or Gamay.
Spice Rubbed Chicken Legs with Chili Crisp, Honey, and Blueberry Mustard Sauce
- 4 Medium Chicken Legs, skin on
- 1 Tbsp Spicy Chili Crisp
- .5 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- .5 Tsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp African Berbere Blend
- 1 Tsp Dark Brown Sugar
- .5 Tsp Salt
- .5 Tsp Pepper
Blueberry Mustard Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 cup Blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 Small Shallot, finely minced
- .5 cups Red Wine
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Lemon, halved and juiced
- 1 Tsp Honey
Avocado Lime Rice
- 1 Cup Cooked Brown Rice
- 2 Medium Avocados, mashed
- .75 oz Lime Juice
- Salt, Pepper to taste
To Make Avocado Lime Rice:
- Cook one cup of brown rice according to package directions. (You can also make the rice one day in advance!)
- Half the avocados and mash them in a large bowl, like you're making guacamole. Add rice to the bowl and stir until well combined and there are no clumps of avocado left in the bowl.
- Mix in lime juice and add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside or keep in refrigerator until time tom plate chicken.
To Make Chicken:
- Preheat oven to 400º. Combine all spices into a bowl. Set aside.
- Pat chicken with a paper towel until it's very dry.
- Using your hands, rub the chicken with the spices until completely covered. If there is any spice blend left over, rub underneath the skin left on chicken legs.
- Put chicken legs on a foil lined baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Transfer the chicken to the oven and roast for 35-40 minutes, until completely cooked throughout or hits an internal temperature of 165º.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a cast iron skillet set on the stove over medium-high heat. When chicken comes out of the oven, immediately transfer to the hot skillet to reverse sear, about 1 minute on each side until browned.
- Remove from pan and plate dish to serve immediately.
To Make Blueberry Mustard Sauce:
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add shallot and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add wine and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add blueberries and simmer until the berries begin to burst. Stir in mustard, lemon juice, and honey until well combined and simmer until reduced to your desired thickness. (It should be about the same consistency as a regular pan sauce or simple syrup.)
To Plate Dish:
- Drizzle Blueberry Sauce liberally on the bottom of the plate.
- Spoon avocado rice on one side of the plate. Rest one chicken leg over the rice.
- Spoon spicy chili crisp over the chicken. Lightly drizzle a small amount of honey over the chili crisp on the chicken, and enjoy!