This isn’t so much a riff on a penicillin cocktail as it is an attempted refining of it. The addition of hot chilis into the honey ginger syrup increases the heat of the ginger while a dash of angostura and salt sharpens the warmth of the scotches.
2 oz Blended Scotch
1 oz Lemon
1 oz Ginger Chili Honey
2 dash Angostura
3 drops Salt Solution (4:1)
1/4 oz Islay Single Malt
- Combine all ingredients except single malt intonations shaker tin with ice.
- Shake well, about 30 seconds.
- Double strain into a highball glass over one large ice cube.
- Gently float single malt on top. (I also find that spraying it via an atomizer is my preferred method for adding this ingredient.)
- Garnish with a lemon peel or cherry.
Ginger Chili Honey
1 cup Honey
1/2 cup Water
1 small hot pepper, sliced in half
6” piece of fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- Combine honey and water in a pot over medium heat. Allow to come to a light boil.
- Add ginger and pepper and boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and discard pepper but keep ginger in the mixture. Refrigerate overnight.
- Strain out ginger solids and bottle syrup in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.