This amaro based sour is perfect for those of you looking for something bright and citrusy that still delivers the flavors of impending fall. A chai simple syrup adds spice and sugar to the slightly astringent and smokey Sfumato Amaro while a small amount of whiskey provides proof and a backbone of oak against the sour of lemon.
Houdini's Dirty Chai
- 1.5 oz Sfumato Amaro
- .5 oz Rye Whiskey
- 1 oz Lemon Juice
- 1 oz Chai Syrup
- Combine the amaro, rye, lemon juice, and chai syrup in a shaker tin with ice.
- Shake very well for about 25-30 seconds.
- Double strain into a coupe glass. Garnish with a large loom wheel and enjoy!
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 Chai Tea Bags
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Cardamom Pods
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- Bring water to a light boil over medium-high heat. Add cinnamon and cardamom and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Remove whole spices and add tea bags. Allow it to steep for 5 minutes, then discard the bags.
- Stir the sugar into the hot tea until it fully dissolves, about 30 seconds. Store syrup in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.